Whether you are looking for a master’s degree program, computer science classes, a K-12 curriculum, or GED study program, this list gives you a look at 50 websites that offer free online courses.
From databases that organize over 1,000,000 students throughout 16 universities, to a small library of documents for those interested in history, the opportunities for free online learning continue to expand as the Internet becomes a crucial component in education.
Coursera.org is one of the leading providers of MOOCs – massive open online courses.
edX offers full online courses with teachers, discussion boards, quizzes, and so on, but it tends to focus on (and excel at) courses in math, the sciences and engineering.
Khan Academy offers a useable, well organized interface. Also curating many courses from around the web, Khan Academy offers impressive depth on many different subjects.
Udemy is an online institution that offers courses taught by leading experts.
iTunesU Free Courses
A very convenient place for free online education is iTunesU, because it integrates seamlessly with your iPod, or any app-ready Apple mobile device.
MIT OpenCourseWare is a treasure trove of course material from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology; it provides lectures, lecture notes, homework assignments, sample tests and many other materials from the actual courses at MIT.
Stanford Online offers self-paced and session based courses. You
r hub for all the online offerings from Stanford University.
10 Best Beginner projects for new programmers
No matter what project you are working on it’s really important to customize it and getting creative with your own touch to it.
Make your own calculator
Build your own chess game
You have will have to start by mapping out your board and your pieces. Then, you’ll go on to giving specific movements for pieces.
Code a mobile app
Creating a mobile app is important as it teaches you how to create an interface, not just coding logic. You don’t need anything other than HTML and CSS for this project.
Create a To-Do list app
This involves most of what you need to create a simple UI: buttons, animation, user interaction and events.
Develop a Weight conversion tool
Tools used for this app are much similar to those in a to-do list app, difference is you can integrate Bootstrap into your project.
Rock, Paper, Scissors game
It requires both user input and creating random elements. You will be creating both the game and the logic behind the robot you are playing against.
Build a Tic Tac Toe game
Web scraper with Python
With python you can even build Twitter, Instagram or Reddit bots. You will need to download a Python distribution called Anaconda to build this project.
Basic HTML5 website
Creating a simple website combines design, principles, file linking, web hosting and coding logic. The complexity in design will grow the more you learn.
If you want to be a full-time web developer you may find yourself using something like this in many different websites.
How to set goals?
- Think of something you are interested in or excited by.
- Writing down our goals increases our chances of sticking with them.
- Telling someone we know about our goals also seems to increase the likelihood that we will stick at them.
- Think your goal as many small ones and break it down.
- Try to accomplish every small goal regularly.
- Then think of your next step…and the next….
- It’s okay if you are at a rough start it’ll will eventually get better, If you need to adjust your goal – that’s ok too.
- If you’re struggling, ask people you know for their ideas on what you could do.
9. Think about what you enjoyed and learned along the way and keep going.
How to learn new skills?
- Knowing your end goal is the first step to learning anything.
- Start by doing some research into whichever skill you want to master.
- After finding out the skill, start listing all the components involved in learning it and pin down as many as you can.
- The point is to start thinking logically from the start.
- The first few weeks or even days of learning a new skill is the hardest.
- According to Pareto’s Principle, 20% of your efforts will lead to 80% of your desired outcome.
- Trying to learn more than one new skill at once is just about guaranteed to drag down your progress.
Learn how to invest
- First it’s important to understand the basic terms of investing.
- There are several different types of investments that you should be aware of before you start investing your money.
- These include stocks, bonds, investment funds, bank products, options, annuities and cryptocurrency.
- As a beginner it’s smart and profitable to start investing in stocks.
- The important thing while investing in stock market is to keep your emotions in check.
- Imagine the worst case scenario, as bad things happen.
7. If you get in a bad situation, it’s always advised to keep six months and a year of total living expenses in cash, or in a savings account.